Monday, November 21, 2011

Mancat Monday

I am up on my big pillow in front of the window, washing my face.  This is a spot that Emma and I shared.  Sometimes I would get up here and sometimes Emma would.  Mom finds it interesting that I got up on the couch that Emma preferred yesterday, even though I had not been up on that couch since Emma moved in with us.

Karen Jo:  You seem to be moving back and forth between spots that Emma used and spots, like your bed by the heat vent, that she never went.  You also used Emma's litter box almost exclusively yesterday.  I wonder if her smell lingering in these places comforts you.  I cleaned and put new litter in both boxes today, as it was long overdue.  I hope that didn't upset you.

Heck, no!  It was high time that you put new litter in the boxes.  You took the food and water out of Emma's room, but you refilled both litter boxes.  Why?

Karen Jo:  You have gotten so used to using either box that I thought I would keep both boxes filled up.  If you stop using one of them, then I will cut you back to just one.

Hey, kitties, you will never guess what has showed up on my buffet!  I have kitten food again and I got a treat of baby food yesterday and today.  I was feeling too sad to eat the baby food yesterday, but I cleaned it up today.

Karen Jo:  Don't get too used to it.  I decided to let you have the kitten food that was left in Emma's bowl and to give you the baby food that I was going to try to tempt her to eat.  When that is gone, you won't be getting any more.

I'll just enjoy it while it lasts.  You didn't share your lunch today.

Karen Jo:  You didn't show up to ask for any until I was on my last two bites of roast beef sandwich.  You can have some roast beef tonight, if you want it.  Speaking of not showing up, where have you been at bedtime the last two nights?

I have been sleeping in my bed in the living room.  I did join you just before dawn both mornings.

Karen Jo:  Yesterday morning I thought you just wanted petting and didn't get why you kept putting your paw on my face.  This morning it finally dawned on me that you wanted early breakfast.  You haven't asked for early breakfast in a very long time.

Well, I want it now.  You should be glad that I am waiting until just before dawn instead of o'dark-thirty.  Why didn't I get my lunch until just now?

Karen Jo: Sorry, Herman, with all that has been going on, I just forgot.  You should have reminded me.

I have been sleeping, so I guess it's OK this time.  I want you to be more punctual in the future.  It's not like you are all that busy. 

Karen Jo:  I have had a busier day today than in a long time.  I got up early to cancel Emma's vet appointment, so they could get some other animal in her slot.  I did my usual chores and cleaned the litter boxes.  I played with you more than usual, as you have been more playful with me.  I went to the grocery store.  I finally applied for my Social Security, which I should have done weeks ago.  That trip to the allergist has really paid off.  The new medication has made me feel better than I have in months.  I actually have my energy back. Before today, just getting my daily chores done has been all I could do and I didn't always finish all of them.  It's too bad that Emma didn't live to see the new/old me.  She would have enjoyed the extra play time.

I am enjoying it.  We played with the blue-mousie-on-a-string that Emma got for Christmas in July.  I don't usually play with wand toys, but maybe watching Emma have so much fun with them gave me ideas.

Karen Jo:  Herman seems to understand what happened to Emma quite well.  He is not looking for her, unless he is doing it after I have gone to bed.

33 comments:

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

Angel and Kirby looked for Mac for days. WE think that is why Kirby ran out the back door so many times that week. WE hope you and Herman are doing OK. WE know it is a very sad time.

Motor Home Cats said...

We are still sad about Emma. We know how much you miss her, and know that the healing will take time. When Tiki was helped to the bridge, Mom brought him home and let us tell him goodbye too, and she thinks that helped us know that he wasn't coming back. We think you letting Herman say goodbye was a good way for him to understand.

Cody and Gracie

Fuzzy Tales said...

We're still sending purrs, hugs and universal Light.

Peace to you both.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

(((hugs)))

WE hope that things continue to go as smoothly as possible.

Keeping you in our purrs
purrs
>^,,^<
♥Abby♥Boo♥Ping♥Jinx♥Grace♥

The Island Cats said...

We're glad that you both are coping. We are purring for you.

(angel) Grrreta and Fam said...

We just read the sad news about sweet Emma. We are so sorry for your loss. It's so very sad that she had to go to the Bridge so soon, but we are glad she got to have such a wonderful forever home surrounded by love. We're sending you comforting purrs.

Brian's Home Blog said...

My sisters and I send you both lots of purrsmand hugs. We've been thinking about you.

Alasandra, The Cats and Dogs said...

Comforting purrs Herman. We know in your own way you miss Emma.

Ivan from WMD said...

Sounds like you're comforting one another.

Anonymous said...

I'm so sorry to hear about sweat Emma! This must be so hard!

Thank you so much for your lovely comments and visit!!!!!

It meant a lot!

Big hugs!

LOKI

Gemini and Ichiro said...

We are glad that Herman seems to be doing well. Some cats do okay and others do look. Our purrs to both of you and we are glad that you each have each other during this time.

~E said...

We are sending love and prayers your way.

Katnip Lounge said...

Purrs from us to you, we are glad Herman is doing OK...and we hope you are too.

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

Purrs to you and Herman. He seems to be handling it well, but it's still a sad time for you both.

Angel Prancer Pie said...

Purrs and whisker kisses to the Mom and you. xoxo

The Florida Furkids said...

Losing a friend is hard no matter if you are a cat or a human. (((Hugs)))

The Florida Furkids and Angel Sniffie

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

We are so sorry to hear about Emma! Purrs of comfort to you and Herman...

Clooney said...

We are thinking of you both, purrs to you.

TabbyNormal said...

Herman is a smart kitty and knows he has duties all over the house. A lot of responsibility for him!

dArtagnan Rumblepurr/Diego Hamlet Moonfur said...

I know you miss her Herman. I keep purring for you and your Mummy.

Ellen Whyte said...

Our old boy Scoop cried for weeks after his friend disappeared, and Au was bored out of his mind when Scoop died. I guess that shows we're all different. Glad Herman is keeping you busy. Any idea what happened to Emma's health?

Mr Puddy said...

In some way, You got my tear, Herman !
Lots of hugs to both of you and your family.
and Take care your humans
Lots of purrs
xoxo

MISS PEACH ~(^.^)~ said...

Oh Karen Jo...no words I say can comfort you at this sad time of loss. Please know how much I care. It is dreadful to watch a beloved slowly slip away...I know. May you be comforted by the fact that you loved her and she knew that!!!!
love Karla

KC and the Giggleman Kitties said...

We's still sending you bof lots of purrs and head bumpies.
Love,
KC
Missy Blue Eyes
Faith Boomerang
Sol
Smokey
BJ
Mom ML

Milo and Alfie Marshall said...

Herman is clearly comforting himself with Emma's places and smells. Bless him.

Thank yoo for coming to my gotcha celebration! Alfie xx

GLOGIRLY said...

We're still sending you our love. Animals are resilient. People are too...it just takes more work. May Emma be in your heart forever.
xo Glogirly & Katie

Team Tabby said...

Glad to hear your mom is feeling better with the new meds. We are sending our comforting purrs to you and mom on the loss of sweet Emma.

Purrfect Haven said...

hello... we are new visitors and feel we know NOTHING.. forgive us, we can't comment meaningfully. We wish you well and will continue to visit so we can learn more about you. Darcy and Bingley xxx

SuziQCat said...

I just read about Emma...so sorry for your loss. I am thankful that Herman is taking it well. I know with time the pain will be less for you too. She will never be forgotten.

Sending purrs to you both today.

~Four Crazy Cats

Marilia said...

I continue sending my best vibrations to you Emma, and to your family!
Kisses, hugs and peace on your hearth!
Marilia and Bavarescats

Tommy and Teaghan said...

Our heartfelt wishes to help you through the healing needed after losing your beloved Emma. She was such a beauty and reminds us of Angie. Bless you for all the love you gave Emma while she was here. May she be running and playing with all the others before at the Rainbow Bridge. Take care of yourself and glad to hear you are feeling better.
Loves and purrs, Brenda, Beau Beau and Angie

Karen and Gerard said...

I'm sure he misses Emma though. I know Spunky missed Mr. Moe when he died and was happy to get Manny Boy as a brother a few months later.

Fr. Tom Fish said...

Karen Jo & Herman,

I'm so sorry to hear about Emma. It's so sad and I am at a loss for words since the same thing has happened here when we lost two of our best furriends.

Healing purrs to you and Herman, too.

Julie & Tom