Saturday, March 12, 2011

Caturday

I still spend lots of time hanging out in the living room.  I am getting used to not getting so many treats.  Mom thinks it is doing me good.  I seem to have more energy; I run more and even walk with more hustle and I am playing with my toys more.  Of course, some of this may be due to having Emma around, too.  I started taking more interest in things from the first day she moved in.  I haven't chased her again.  When I want to get close to her, I just calmly walk up to her.  Sometimes she runs away from me or jumps up on something and sometimes she stands her ground and hisses at me when I get close to her.  She doesn't always hiss, though.  Last night when it was time for bed, Mom turned out the light and called me.  I jumped up on the bed like I always do and noticed that Emma was sleeping in the rocking chair.  I walked up the bed until I was even with the rocking chair, put my front paws on the rocking chair arm, then leaned down as far as I could to sniff her.  She never even woke up.  Then I snuggled up next to Mom for my petting session.  After a little while I decided I would rather sleep by Mom's feet.

Karen Jo:  I woke up in the middle of the night to go to the litter box room and you were sleeping in the doorway to Emma's room.  Emma was still in the rocking chair.  Before I got back to sleep again, I felt you jump up on the bed, then I felt a kitty on the pillow beside my head.  I think the two of you shared the bed with me for a little while.
Karen Jo: I am having a bit of trouble getting good pictures of Emma.  One, she doesn't hold still for long.  Two, she only hangs out in her room and my bedroom, where the light isn't as good as it is in the living room.  When I got home, Herman was sitting at the very beginning of the hall and Emma was peeking out from her room.  Herman sauntered down the hall and Emma darted into her room and jumped up on something.  I don't think he is using her uneasiness around him to keep her penned in the back of the house, but he could be.  That just doesn't seem to fit with the rest of his reactions to her, though.  He isn't a bit jealous of her.  I can sit on the couch and pet and pet her and he just watches.  He doesn't try to take my attention away from her.  I really think he sits at the end of the hall and watches her because he wants her to come to him to play.

9 comments:

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

Emma, I hope you realize soon that Herman just wants to be friends! I bet he will be really fun to pal around with once you get used to him.

Angel Simba said...

They both sound so sweet. I wonder if the possibility of both sleeping on the bed will be the ice breaker. Or might you put their food bowls near each other?

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

Two beautiful babies

Jacqueline said...

We will be glad when you guys become great friends; we're sure it's just a matter of time...Have a fun weekend, beautiful friends...kisses...Calle, Halle, Sukki

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

We believe Herman is trying to engage Emma. She is just getting used to him and she is getting accustomed to her new living arrangements. We feel that it won't take long before these two are good friends.

xoxoxo
purrin

Gemini and Ichiro said...

It could be a little bit of dominance--so she knows he's the head cat. That's pretty typical of cats. Don't think that he hasn't started learning that he CAN do that even if he didn't initially mean that! He'll get that if he wants to know her he has to move and it sounds like he is motivated to play with her!

OKcats said...

It sounds like Herman is being super sweet to little Emma - and it's great that he's not jealous. I think he'll love having a sister - sounds like he likes her already!

dArtagnan Rumblepurr/Diego Hamlet Moonfur said...

She'll come around Herman, I know it!

Ellen Whyte said...

Good to hear Emma is out and that there is no war declared. Herman is a gentleman!