Sunday, June 27, 2010

Training Mom

It's been really toasty warm here (in the 80s), so I have been doing a lot of this. I had my paw over my eyes when Mom got the camera out, but I moved it before she could take the picture. Remember when I said that I couldn't get Mom to play with me at oh-dark-thirty, no matter what I did? Well, I found a way around that. I just waited until it was barely getting light and woke Mom up like I do when I want early breakfast. She got right up and started following me down the hall. Instead of running into the kitchen, I ran into the big room and attacked one of my toys. Mom came in and played with me, but she had to turn on the kitchen light to see what I was doing and where the toys were. We played until I was ready to stop, then we went into the kitchen and Mom got me early breakfast. She went back to bed while I ate. I jumped up on the bed before she got back to sleep and snuggled up next to her and meowed for her to put her arm out for me to use for a pillow and she did. Then I stuck my head in her hand for scritches and she obliged. I even persuaded her to use both hands to pet and scritch me. I shifted over on my back. Now Mom knows perfectly well that when I do this, I want my chest petted, but her hand always wanders down to tickle my furchin, which I do NOT like. I usually put the bitey on her thumb when she tickles my furchin, but my head was sooo comfy that I just kicked her with my back feet until her hand went back to my chest where it belonged. I got petted for a nice long time, until I wiggled a bit away to let Mom know that I had enough and we both went to sleep. To show my appreciation, I didn't bug her again until it was full daylight and time for second breakfast, then I actually let her sleep again until it was time for her to get up. You have to give your Mom a little reward to help the training sink in.

Karen Jo: Thank you for letting me sleep today, Herman. I appreciate it. I just can't resist tickling your furchin. I just love it that you have that little round belly. As long as it's there, I know that you aren't losing weight, as that is the first part that goes away. What did you do with your nip ball? We played with it in the almost dark, but I can't find it anywhere now.

I'm not telling. If you can't find it, you will just have to get me a new one.

Karen Jo: I just might have to do that, but it will have to wait a few days, until I have some time off. You had fun with a bug in the kitchen tonight.

Yes, I did. I love it that bugs are starting to come into the house.

Karen Jo: You only seem to notice the ones on the floor, though. There was a big fly in the kitchen this morning and you never noticed it.

I was too busy looking out the kitchen window and sniffing the smells. I also discovered that I like macaroni and cheese with hamburger.

Karen Jo: That surprised me a little. I figured that you would go for the macaroni and cheese, but you have always turned up your nose at hamburger before. However, when I gave you a little spoonful of the mixture, you ate it all up.

You never can tell what I will want to eat. I like to keep you guessing.

20 comments:

maya said...

mmm macaroni and cheese with hamburger. delicious.

its always good to keep the humans guessing, herman!

have a good sunday

dArtagnan Rumblepurr/Diego Hamlet Moonfur said...

Herman, it makes us so happy to hear how well you're doing!

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

Wow Herman, you are doing a GREAT job of training your human. But it sounds to me like she is easier to train than mine, who is wild and semi-feral. She is a lot of work!

Angel Simba said...

Aww, what a happy post. Good job of the Mom-training, Herman.

3 kats and a kwiltr said...

Herman,
Sounds like the reward program is working well with your human. Our mommy goes to work in the real dark hours, so we don't have to wake her up then to play, but are working on getting her to come play with us when the sun is just setting...she gets grouchy when we want to play then.
Sounds like your health is improving, so Yeah! from early but steamy Illinois,
Taz, Runt, Charles and mommy, Anna

Marg said...

Herman, it is so great to hear how well you are doing. You have a wonderful Mom that worked really hard to make you better. Keep up the good work.
Have a great Sunday

Hannah and Lucy said...

We think you need to train your human in short bursts - ours responds better to that than if we try to teach her two things at the same time - it must be a dormant brain thing with her!!.

The Florida Furkids said...

You're doing such a great job training your Mom! You picked the perfect human for a Mom.

Sniffie and the Florida Furkids

The Island Cats said...

Herman, you do have your mom trained well!! We're gonna take some lessons from you!

Gemini and Ichiro said...

Herman, it sounds like you are getting her trained!

Katnip Lounge said...

Herman,
Excellent training. Our hard work has gone to pot with the company this week. Next week we have to start all over again. *sigh*
The Baby doesn't like her furchin petted either. We're happy yours is nice and round!

Unknown said...

Hi Herman,
I am stopping in to say Hi! and happy that things are going well for you. You are on the right track.

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Hi Herman
We are furry impressed with how well you've trained your Mom. When Boo wakes up Momma she picks her up and puts her out the door. Poor Boo she'll never learn. We are glad you are still feeling so good.

purrs
Abby

Angel, Kirby and Max said...

Play time early in the morning before breakfast! That sounds like fun!

Zippy, Sadie, Speedy and M'Gee said...

Good job on training da mom. Sometimes we hafta repeat instructions over and over until dey get it, 'cuz, well, dey is kinda dense at times. We haf neffur had da canned Pea and Duck stuff 'cuz we do well on da Fansy Feest and Friskies stuff. Mom also found dat we all love dat Chicken Soup cat food and it don't make Speedy skwirt or barf either. So now she uses da little bags of it as treats! Dad sez dat's it, no more food asperiments...

A few Good Cats said...

Herman, we're glad to see how well your human serves you!

Anonymous said...

oh Herman dear, this is all so great!!! can not tell you how good it is to see you doing so verreh wells.

Amy & the house of cats said...

Herman we are so glad that you are doing so well, and playing and eating and just being a happy boy! And we are behind so we have to say welcome to the Tuxedo Gang Hideout - we have two members at our house too! We think it is great that you joined!!

SuziQCat said...

Sounds like you have your human trained good Herman...wtg!!

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

We are so YAY that Herman seems ta be feelin happy an playful and healthy these days...

Yay Yay Yay