Wednesday, May 5, 2010

Thank You So Very Much

Karen Jo: Thank you all so very much for all your purrs and prayers for Herman. I am sorry that I am so late in acknowledging Purrs for Herman Day, but Sunday and Monday are my busiest days at work and I often come home too tired to do anything more than look after Herman and go to bed. On top of that, I forgot my thyroid pill on Monday, so it was really wet noodle time when I got home. I want to especially thank Brian for coming up with the idea and to KC for the beautiful graphic. I appreciate it more than I can say. Your good wishes, purrs and prayers seem to be working, because Herman is doing much better.


Thank you very much to Zoolatry for this wonderful collage. Ann also sent me a beautiful watercolor rendition of Herman, which I will post tomorrow. Now I better let Herman have his say.

After I started refusing to have anything to do with those new treats with the pills inside, Mom got tricky again. First she tried squirting something in my mouth with this white bulb thing, but I managed to spit quite a bit of it out.

Karen Jo: I tried a baby aspirator, because I could draw up some diluted baby food inside, then open the plug in the end of the bulb to put the crushed pills inside. The trouble was that I got too much liquid that way and Herman could just force a lot of it out with his tongue.

When that didn't work, she started syringing stuff inside my mouth. It tastes better than the last time she did that, but it is still really yucky.

Karen Jo: I found that I could draw up 2 to 2 1/2 ml of the baby food mixture, squirt that into a small bottle, add the crushed pills, mix it all together really well and draw almost all of it back into the syringe. Herman accepts the syringe, as he is used to getting his Interferon that way and the Interferon doesn't taste bad. Even with the baby food, the pill mixture still tastes bad, but so far he is accepting it without too much fuss. I give him a treat right afterward, to kill the bad taste in his mouth.

I like getting treats and often ask Mom for them. I am still eating very well. I am not cleaning up my Stinky Goodness dishes now, but I am eating more kitten chow. I do that from time to time -- switch from eating mostly Stinky Goodness with a little crunchy food on the side to eating mostly crunchy food with some Stinky Goodness thrown in. I ate half a bowl of my kitten chow yesterday. I am feeling much better and things are beginning to interest me more. Mom was talking to someone I couldn't see and rustling some papers on the table, so I jumped up and helped her rustle the papers by stepping all over them, especially the one she was reading from. That was fun. We got open windows today and I jumped up on my platform to watch the birds for a while. I hadn't done that for a week. While Mom was brushing me tonight, I batted at her hair.

Karen Jo: I was amazed to see the bottom of your kitten chow bowl when I got up this morning to feed you breakfast. You haven't eaten that much dry food in a very long time. I am really glad that you are eating your kitten chow, because that has extra protein and calories that you really need. Your Natural Balance Green Pea and Duck dry food came in today, but you would rather rub up against the sack than eat the food that came in it.

I checked it out, but it didn't smell as good as my kitten chow, so I didn't eat it.

Karen Jo: You didn't even taste it.

I might later on. You never know what I will like.

Karen Jo: That's for sure. I dumped your I/D dry onto a saucer to give to the ravens because you hadn't touched it in weeks and you suddenly jumped up on the counter and started eating it while I was washing your bowl to put your duck and pea in it.

I love messing with your head. I found a tasty bit of something else on the counter, too.

Karen Jo: That was a piece of ham fat that I was going to give to the ravens. You didn't seem to like the ham itself much, but you ate up the fat quickly enough. I love how much you are eating. While I was petting you today, I noticed that you didn't feel so bony, so I got out the scales and weighed myself, then picked you up and weighed both of us. I think you have actually gained about a pound. That made me so happy that I decided to celebrate with a steak, but you didn't want the bits I gave you.

You did leave them on my dish. Maybe I'll eat them later, like I did with the chicken liver. Those chicken liver treats Daisy told us about sound really yummy. Will you get me some?

Karen Jo: I will certainly look for them. If I can't find them at out local store, I bet I can find them online. Thanks again, everyone. Things are looking up and I think that Herman's poop is getting a little thicker.

39 comments:

Old Kitty said...

Hi

I just wanted to pop over and see how the lovely Herman is doing!

Go Herman!!! Make that poop thicker!! :-) Keep gaining those pounds and I know the squirty stuff and the pills are yucky but I hope you keep taking them. Just think - more treats!

What a trouper.

Big purry hugs from me and Charlie the cat.
xx

Summer at sparklecat.com said...

I'm glad Herman is doing so much better! I will continue to purr for him, and I'm sure everyone else will too!

If you can't find the chicken liver treats locally, I know that nipandbones.com has them on their website.

Ikaika said...

We are so happy that Herman is doing better today!!! Big purrs still coming ...

ZOOLATRY said...

H is for happy.
E is for energetic.
R is for roaring.
M is for meowing madly.
A is for amazing.
N is for never-again-sick...

Herman: we hope you are well on your way to being a happy, energetic, roaring 'n meowing,
amazing, never-again-sick Kitty Cat.

Hugs and love,
Maggy and Zoey

Parker said...

Yay for Herman!
Smoochies to you both!

Angel Simba said...

Keep it up, Herman!!!

My Mom just wanted to pass on a thought that she had when you mentioned the freeze dried chicken livers. Most cats can handle the bacteria that may be present on raw foods, but with Herman's immune system problems, as well as his pudding poop issues, Mm thinks you should avoid giving him anything that comes from a raw source for now, or at least be sure to ask the VET about it. Yuu-Chan and Bibi-Chan (of "the poupounette")just had a horrible intestinal infection and their #1 mentioned in comments on one blog that it may have come from them getting raw food. Many people are very in favor of a raw diet, but it is not suitable for all cats.

The Monkeys said...

We're glad you're feeling better, Herman! We hope you keep feeling even better and eating well!

Kea said...

This is good news, we're happy for you, Herman! Please continue to eat and get better! Sending lots of purrs and healing Light.

Alastriona, The Cats and Dogs said...

We are so glad to hear Herman is improving. We likes to mess with our Mom's head when it come to eating too. ~AFSS

Mark's Mews (Marley, Lori, Loki, and Binq) said...

Keep up the good efforts, Herman and Karen Jo!

Cory said...

Herman, you have made us all very happy with the news that you are eating and gaining weight. Keep it up my furriend.

3 kats and a kwiltr said...

Yeah, Herman and Karen Jo! Keep up the good work. Obviously, the new medicine is working and the appetite is back!
Sending hugs and purrs that this continues,
Taz, Runt, Charles and mommy, Anna in IL

SuziQCat said...

Happy to hear some good news today about Herman...it certainly is a day by day thing when dealing with a sick animal. I hope you continue to have good days...will keep purring for Herman!

Hannah and Lucy said...

We're pleased that you are feeling more lively and are eating more. Now just work on thicker poops.

Marg said...

We are so excited that you are doing so much better Herman. That is such good news and we know it is good news for Karen Jo too, so good work Herman. Keep up that eating and taking that medicine. We are very fussy what we eat too.

Lisa Kolosey said...

So glad to hear Herman's doing better! We won't stop purring for him!
~Lisa Co9T

ANGEL ABBYGRACE said...

Herman
You know that the entire CB is purring for you -- and that's a lotta purrs -- so WE just KNOW you are going to feel more like eating and GAIN WEIGHT!!

A BIG ***woo Hoo***!!!!!!!

We will continue our vigil in our purrs everyday for you.

purrin for Herman
Abby

The Misadventures Of Me said...

Yay Herman! Keep up dat eattin it will make yoo feel soooo much better! We fink all that different foods yoo is findin is doin yoo guds, too.

Molly
Shadow
Trooder

Tuck said...

Herman, I'm glad to hear that you are feeling a little better. I'm purring for you buddy and Jen said she is sending loving thoughts to your mom.

The Island Cats said...

Yay! We're glad Herman seems to be doing better. We're still purring for him because we all know the power of the purr!

Everycat said...

Well done Herman, so pleased you are doing much better. Keep on eatin' and eatin' and eatin'

Whicky

Gemini and Ichiro said...

YEAH! I am glad that Herman is feeling better at least for now! Purrs to you all.

Jacqueline said...

YAY Herman!...So glad you are feeling better and eating well, you gorgeous boy!...Hang in there and we'll keep purring loudly for your continued better health...kisses sweetie...xo...Calle, Halle, Sukki

Angel Junior, Orion and Sammy said...

Herman, we are very glad to read t hat you are eating more and things are improving a bit. We will keep purring for you.

We posted our award today!!!

Anonymous said...

This is the most wonderful news!!! WTG Herman!!! Are we will continue to purray that you get better and better and add some more weight!

NAK and The Residents of The Khottage Now With KhattleDog! said...

Keep up the good work!

Hugz&Khysses,
Khyra
PeeEssWoo: Green pea and dukhk? I'm so furry jealous!

Brian's Home Blog said...

Herman and KarenJo, that is the best news I've heard all week. So many of us love you and Herman and we just needed a way to let you know that. We're all purring here and we won't stop!

SASS....Sammy Andy Shelly Sierra said...

YAY!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!! YAY!!!!!!!!!
We're so happy that you are eating well again.....and have probably gained some weight. We love you, Herman, and we will continue sending purrs your way....and our mama sends love and hugs to your mama. xxxxxxxxx

Lynx217 said...

Yippie!!!!!!!!!! That made my day! Snuggles to Herman and hugs for Karen! We shall all keep purring!

Amy & the house of cats said...

Yay Herman! We are glad to hear the news that you are eating and maybe even gaining some weight! That is so great!! We are so super happy! We are keeping the purrs and prayers going because we want you to eat more and gain more and be healthy!!

caspersmom said...

Keep the prayers going for Herman. He is eating better yea!!
Karen Jo I found using the syringe with Patches if I close her mouth right after squeezing the liquid or whatever in and rub the throat a little it will go down. Have to be fast and sometimes I'm not and she will use her tonque and it will come right back out. I had to force feed her like that for awhile. Now I give her the laxatone that way. You are doing a great job with Herman. You are so patient. God bless.

Jans Funny Farm said...

We're glad Herman's doing a little better. Sounds like his appetite is better too.

Katnip Lounge said...

Oh Herman,
We are SOOOO happy to hear you're eating. You need to keep up your energy level. We suspect that you are a secret picky eater! Way to go. Always keep the beans guessing, we say.
Take your medicine without too much fuss, and remember we LOVE you TONS! purrr!
xx lounge kats

Ivan from WMD said...

Yippee! You go, Herman!

meowmeowmans said...

WOOHOO! This is great news, Herman! We are glad you're feeling better these days. We'll keep purring and praying for you and Karen Jo.

The Devil Dog said...

Oh Herman, we hope you really are doing well. We want you to feel better so much. Duck sounds good, but how can you turn your nose up to steak? Steak is... almost as yummy as broccoli.

Roxy

Mickey's Musings said...

Herman, if our purrs help, then we will keep sending you lots & lots!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
PURRS Herman :)
Purrs Mickey,Georgia & Tillie

Sweet Purrfections said...

So glad to hear that Herman is doing better.

Angel Gracie=^o.o^= said...

Checking in to see how you are doing. So glad that you are doing better. I will keep the prayers coming for you to continue down the road to good health. You are a dear old friend.